Friday, November 07, 2014

Listening for Our Own Authentic Rhythm - Day 7

I went to a drumming experience last night at the Remo Recreational Center (what a great place!). I attended HealthRhythms a research based program designed to help you sync with others while self-expressing. According to HealthRhythms there are significant physiological and emotional benefits to drumming that can improve welll-being personally, professionally, and in the workplace.

Surprisingly, this class provided me with an opportunity to check in with myself, though that was not why I went. The musings of my mind are comical, and yet informative. I am new to drumming and admit there were times when I felt a bit self-conscious, wondering if I could "keep the beat' and then wondering where I fit in. I assume these feelings are normal to anyone attending something foreign to them.

What I did not expect was that drumming would offer a metaphor for life. As time went on throughout the class, I realized that I was having a hard time finding my own sound in the group, and wondering what I had to add to the "discussion". There already seemed to be enough, and I did not feel the need to add more. Furthermore, at times I could not hear myself, my own rhythm, and had to stop hitting the drum and go inward to listen to my beat, my contribution. At these times I had to stay really focused inwardly, despite it being a group activity.

I see that it is possible to equate societal life to a drum circle - we are all trying to find what we have to contribute to the whole, we all sometimes feel self-conscious or unsure, and sometimes we have to go inward, and get silent just to hear ourselves in the cacophony of human "beats". Experiencing this in a "non-traditional" environment was both enlightening and freeing.

I enjoyed listening to others, beating the drum, using new-to-me percussive instruments, and noticing what was going on inside both head and heart. The 90 minutes went by quickly, the sensation was similar to the way time changes when meditating.

This experience reminded me that it is important to be silent at times and just listen. Listen to what others are offering, and listen inwardly to what I am experiencing and what I have to offer. I don't have to hit the drum continuously, I can be present to what is going on around me and identify where, if, and how I want to fit in and show up. If you have not tried drumming before, you might want to check it out and see what comes up for you.

What about you? Can you recall a situation in which you had to listen attentively, blocking out the world around you so that you could really hear your inner voice? How did you do it?

5 thanksgivings:
  1. I am grateful for REMO drums and all they do for the community.
  2. I am grateful for having a willing, adventurous spirit.
  3. I am grateful for last night's supportive group, who shared themselves freely.
  4. I am grateful for this 30-day challenge.
  5. I am grateful for my inner voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment